The foundation stone of this prestigious Thermal Plant comprising four
units of 110 MW capacity each was laid on 19th Nov.,1969 the quincentenary year of the
birth of the great Guru Nanak Dev Ji from whom it gets its present name.The project was
completed in two phases at a total cost of about Rs.115 crore. The first unit was
commissioned in September,1974 and the other units were subsequently commissioned in
September,1975, March,1978 and in January,1979 respectively. The commissioning of these
units not only bridged the gap between supply and demand of power in the State but also
solved the chronic problem of the low voltage prevailing in the Malwa region.
Each unit of GNDTP, Bathinda, when operated at full capacity is capable
of generating 26.4 lac units of electricity a day. The coal consumption is about 1500 to
1600 MT per day per unit depending upon the quality of coal. The total daily coal
requirement is about 6500 M.T.(about two rakes of 58 wagons each) when all the four units
are in operation. The coal is being received from Jharkhand / Chhatisgarh which are more
than 1500 KMs away from this power station. The project is providing direct employment to
about 3000 persons.
The performance of this power plant has been improving year after year
and inspite of ageing of the units it is being maintained at an appreciably higher level.
GNDTP has won laurels at National level by winning a number of
awards/shields on account of its higher generation in its history. Further due to
reduction in fuel oil consumption, the plant has been continuously winning national awards
each year since 1992 when these awards were first introduced by the Govt.of India.
It is a matter of pride that all the four units have successfully
completed Silver Jubilee(25 years) of its operation. At the same time all the units have
outlived their designed life. Various equipment/auxiliaries of boilers, turbines and other
areas have largely deteriorated restricting the load on the units to about 95 MW against
installed capacity of 110 MW. Hence, ‘Residual Life Assessment' (RLA) Study of
the units have been got carried out through M/s CPRI, Bangalore.
Accordingly, extensive ‘renovation &
modernization’ based on RLA study of all the four units have been planned to be
executed in a phased manner to restore rated capacity of the plant, increase efficiency,
reduce auxiliary consumption and extend useful life of the plant by another 15-20 years
Work orders amounting to Rs. 183.04 crores for major R&M of Unit I
& II have been placed on M/s NASL, New Delhi. The work includes updation of
Electrostatic Precipitators to bring down SPM(Suspended particulate matter) level below 90
mg/NM3 to effect pollution control in the area. Unit-II has been shut down on
9-3-2004 to carry out above mentioned R&M works and Unit-I shall be released for
R&M after the commissioning of Unit-II.
In case of unit-III & IV, a project report for R&M costing
about Rs. 290 crore has been approved by the Board. However to bring down the pollution
level till R&M is completed, 'Ammonia flue gas conditioning system' has been installed
and commissioned and Suspended Particulate Matter (SPM) level brought down to prescribed
limits. A special tree plantation campaign has also been launched at the plant for
environmental upgradation and more than 14000 saplings have been planted in the plant and
colony area which shall grow to provide a green cover to the environment. Under guidance
of PAU Ludhiana, various plants have been grown in ash dyke area to avoid blowing of ash
by wind. These shall also help to press ash into a compact layer. A bulldozer has also
been pressed into service for this purpose.
National Fertilizers Limited was incorporated on 23rd August 1974 and
its plant at Bathinda started its commercial Production on 01.10.1979. Toyo Engineering
Corporation was prime Engineering Contractors for the plant. M/s Engineers India
Ltd.,(EIL) did the detail engineering and supervised the Erection and Commissioning of the
Bathinda unit is Producing Urea whose Installed capacity is 1550 MT per day i.e.
5,11,500 MT Urea per annum. The unit is producing Urea at more than 100% capacity
Milk Plant Bathinda was commissioned in September, 1974 with a total
outlay of Rs. 1.6 Crores by The Pb. Dairy Dev. Corporation limited. It was one of the
select co-operatives that were covered under the Operation Flood-1 Programme. Subsequently
on Ist March, 1980, it was handed over by the State Govt. to The Punjab State
Co-operatives milk Producers federation Ltd. (MILKFED) which is an apex level organization
of milk producers operative in the State. Further to this development, the Milk Plant was
handed over to The Bathinda District Co-operative Milk Producers Union Ltd.( registered in
the year 1978 under Punjab co-operative Act.) on 1st January 1988. Milk Plant set up with
a twin objective of providing remunerative milk market to the milk producers in this area
and also supply good quality milk products to the consumers at reasonable rates and also
marketing of milk producers at village level.
The Union has a processing capacity of 100TLPD and drying capacity of 6.2 MTD.It also
owns four Milk Chilling Centres namely Rampura(15TLPD), Talwando Sabo(10TLPD), Bhikhi
(15TLPD) and sardulgarh (20TLPD). In addition the union has hired ice factory Bhagta with
a capacity of 20TLPD.
Milk and Milk products are prepared asper the norms by pasteurizing the milk and others
required process to fulfill the target/norms as per the market demand. Milk plan also got
ISO-9001:2000 with HACCP (as per IS: 15000: 98) and also approved by the Export Inspection
Agency New Delhi for export the milk products. Milk products having standards norms of
PFA/BIS/EGG MARK and our prescribed specification if International Standards for export of
ghee and Milk Powder to Dubai and Middle East Countries.
Products : - (BRAND-VERKA)
- Skimmed Milk Powder
- Whole Milk Powder
- Table Butter
- Milk Cake
The unit was setup on 10.12.2001 and it is situated in Lehra Mohabat,
Behind GHTP in District Bathinda.
The unit is producing cement under the Brand name Birla Plus Cement (PPC) and Vikram
The Installed capacity of unit is 12 lac Metric Tons per annum.
Vardhman Polytex Limited is situated on Badal Road in Bathinda. The
Unit started its commercial production in October’ 1984.
This is an ultra modern unit having latest imported and indigenous plant and machinery.
The following products are manufactured :
- Cotton Yarn
- Polyster cotton blended yarn
- Synthetic yarn
- Acrylic Yarn
- Dyed yarn
The Unit is a part of Oswal Group, having textile Spinning/Dyeing Units and Corporate
office at Ludhiana.